Monday, November 24, 2008

brainstorming for "the poet pleads with the elemental powers" first initial

The first initial for Elemental Powers can be seen in the last post, but these shots give you a closer look at it. This is another case of my hand just doing its own thing, andme finding out about it when the image was done. OK, so I wasn't that disconnected, but literally no planning was done here. My pencil knew what it wanted to do so I said, "have at it." The overall result is very pleasing. I am especially pleased that despite the distinct serpentine quality (largely due to the lack of a structured body mass) one can clearly see that the subject is a dragon. Yes I'm quite aware that the dragon is currently only in possession of two legs, but a solution for that will be found. The idea of adding the other two feet at the end of its wings is very tempting - if not anatomically impossible. However, between the mythical poetry, the alchemical references and philosophies, and the fantasy script; well, let's just say that I'm not too hung up on maintaining reality if it does not suit my aesthetic purposes.


No comments: